helenliz

helenliz

Forgotten Voices of the Great War: A New History of WWI in the Words of the Men and Women Who Were There

Forgotten Voices of the Great War - Imperial War Museum, Max Arthur This is a set of transcriptions of recording made of veterans of the first world war telling their stories. Started by the Imperial War museum in 1972, it is an incredibly valuable archive of memory, especially now it is outside living memory. having said that, i'm not sure this is necessarily the best way to present that archive. By attempting to cover the entire first world war in 313 pages of text, it is, necessarily, a very swift overview of the events of the war. The inclusion of testimony from other allied forces (French & Americans) the German forces makes it especially interesting, although I felt the memories of those at home were a bit spurious, unless it was that of men of leave. So, yes, it is a worthwhile book, but I would say that there are better examples of this type of narrative out there. They Called It Passchendaele: The Third Battle of Ypres & the Men Who Fought in It, for example, I found to be a much more moving story, as it concentrates on one patch of the western front and you really get in under the skin of that battle in a way that this book cant' - you're always skimming off onto another event.