helenliz

helenliz

Gold: A Novel

Gold - Chris Cleave This had its moments, but it did hit one of my annoyances. It's a tale of elite cyclists as they approach the London Olympics. Jack, Kate & Zoe meet in their late teens and their lives and cycling careers are woven together for the next 14 years. The relationship between Zoe & Kate is complicated by rivalry and their own characters. Kate more balanced, the gifted rider, Zoe angst ridden but more determined. It seems that whatever they do, Zoe does it to win, and is completely and utterly selfish in that regard. To complicate matters further, Jack & Kate have a daughter, who is ill with Leukeymia. So there's then a tug between family and personal desire.It's written in a epistolic manner, with flash backs to fill in the gpas and uncover more of the complicated backstory that exists between the three. It is well writtten, in that the story is uncovered and moves forward, such that you're never quite sure if things are as they seem or not. The thing that annoys me about this is the levels of angst and complication in the book. I know good news doesn't sell papers, and this strikes me as the book version of the same thing. They've all got a childhood trauma or similar going on, they've got a very complicated relationship dynamic, there's a very ill child - it's just a bit too much to be entirely believable set of co-incidences. I accept that elites are probably not normal - if they were they'd be sitting on the sofa watching the Olympics, not at it winning gold, but I'm not sure you'd necessarily want to be friends with any of the main protagonists - it would be far too wearing for any normal sized ego to deal with.