helenliz

helenliz

From Dirt to Diamonds

From Dirt to Diamonds - Julia James Well that's a couple of hours I'm not going to see again. It's not that this was awful, just that it wasn't very good. BTW - the feather light plot is discussed, if you don;t want to know, look away now. Thea Dautry is a famous model on the verge of an engagement to a Viscount in waiting. She is about to have everything she's always wanted, stability, security and family. But it's hardly a love match. She then comes across a blast from the past when business magnate Angelos Petrakos turns up and recognises her from an incident 5 years ago, when Thea wasn't Thea, but was Kat. Kat was the child of a junkie and prostitute who was taken into care and didn't exactly come out of the system with any prospects in front of her. She discovers that her mother's mother was an alcoholic & prostitute and, to her credit, she decided that history is not going to repeat itself to the third generation. She swears off drink, drugs & sex and starts to work her way up from the bottom. She aims to become a model, and manages to get herself on some agency books and gets called to a casting for a yacht shoot - for the company of Angelos Petrakos. She gets the job, then looses it as Angelos has decided he'll have an affair with her, and he doesn't mix business with pleasure. She goes to plead for the job, he mistakes the intention, all gets very messy and not a bit unbelievable. Result, he destroys Kat's life. Like you do.Fast forward 5 years & Kat's reinvented herself, has got over the ruination of her life and is now Thea. Still a model, but now a very highly paid one (and no-one's seemed to notice Thea bears a startling resemblance to Kat, that's never explained either). She has money of her own and is now craving security and some people to call family. Hence the plan to marry a Viscount - what with him having family going back generations. But Angelos decides that he knows best and that she can't be allowed to lie to the inoffensive Giles, and she's got to call it off. Like he's an expert on relationships.Kat could have made a very interesting story, if she'd been allowed to inhabit any other kind of novel, but in the world of the romance the only thing of interest is how she's feeling. She's not sure how she's feeling, so that makes for a book written rather in emotions that must not be named. Also in rather short sentences. Felt a bit like being hit by the rose bush rather than being showered in rose petals. I found it annoying how there would almost be one paragraph from his point of view, then one from hers, and they were all terribly ambiguous. I thought he was not terribly attractive - no matter how often his broad shoulders were described they didn't do a lot for me. I also found him arrogant beyond belief; he's sure any woman would go weak at the knees at the idea of being his mate (NOT!). I'm sure we all compartmentalise life, but he seemed to have this to the nth degree. I'm not quite sure I believed the enemy to lover thing either. I'm not quite sure why he had such a strong resentment against her - unless it was for turning him down - in which case he needs to get over himself. She had, to my mind, a far stronger reason for hating him - someone destroying everything you've ever tried to achieve doesn't happen in ~ 10 days, which can be all the time that elapsed here, I'm sure. It wasn't really my type of read - I only picked it up to satisfy a challenge to read books with gemstones in the title. The characters were rather 2 dimensional, the story I'd have wanted to read was, to this book, irrelevant and glossed over. Either write a novel to set fire to the sheets, or one to sear the soul - this certainly managed neither. The writing was a bit on the weak side, very short sentence structure, or tailing off into ellipses with unfinished thoughts. And people thinking in italics - where did that idea come from? I can imagine my Granny reading this and being slightly shocked and mildly thrilled - takes a bit more to impress me.