helenliz

helenliz

Testament of Youth

Testament of Youth: An Autobiographical Study of the Years 1900 - 1925 - Vera Brittain Re-read, from Mar 2009. Maybe it was because I had a deadline - it being this month's book club book, but I got really quite annoyed with this book. The most obvious element that annoyed me was the sensation that Vera seemed to think that the world owed her something because of her experiences during the war. It's a very modern sounding phrase that you hear from the youf "I got rights" and there are echoes of this in her return to Oxford, but she does seem to feel that she is special, despite the references to her generation. You could easily argue that she had done something important and deserved more recognition, but it was her decision to volunteer, and self sacrificing acts usually involve some act of sacrifice. It was still moving, and there is still the hope of the final chapters after the bleakness of earlier ones. But I still struggle to find any point of connection with her and didn't find it as enlighteneing second time around as it was the first time.