helenliz

helenliz

Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North

Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North - Stuart Maconie This was fab! I really like Stuart Maconie - I even made hubby buy me a digital radio when he moved over to 6music, so I could continue to listen. He has a really good turn of phrase, is funny without being silly and it generally a lot more erudite than being a DJ might give him credit for. It's an observational book, based on the surmise that the north has to start somewhere and he goes in search of where that might be (the answer seems to be Crewe - as an unrepentant Southerner that seems a bit far north to me; Watford would be better). He travels the north, meeting people, seeing what makes then tick, discussing the different cities and regions of the north and how they loose out simply because they are in the north. In all it's a love song to region that has it's issues (and its chip on its shoulder) but has great beauty, warmth and a lot to admire. The cover blurb has this as being in the style of Alan Bennett, and I can see what they mean, although I find this more direct than Bennett is usually. I found it interesting, with lots of pop culture references that I got in an instant as well as funny, sweet and occasionally really very right.