helenliz

helenliz

The Maid: A Novel of Joan of Arc

The Maid: A Novel of Joan of Arc - Kimberly Cutter meh. I can't decide what to think of this. Maybe it suffered in comparison with the Mark Twain version of the same story, where Joan is put on a pedestal and transmuted into a goddess. Here Joan is a lot more human, she's fallible, but also she's not always very nice. Took a while for me to work out who the narrator was. I think it was Joan herself, talking to a chronicler in retrospect. But it got a bit confuding, with some events being described almost as they happened with asides that were clearly written from a position of later information. Took a while to get used to the style. The voices Joan hears are presened very differently than in the Twain version. It does also raise the possibility that she went further than her voices were prompting her to, in that the later stages of the campaign were less successful - was that due to personal ambition rather than divine intervention. I can't say I'd bother reading this again. Not that it was bad, just that it didn;t grab me in any particular way.