helenliz

helenliz

Mystery Mile

Mystery Mile - Margery Allingham This was a good read. The character has clearly developed from the first appearance and is clearly now the lynchpin of the book. He is also becomming more of an individual. There are elements that could be described as Whimsey-esque, but he manages to get by without Whimsey's angst. There is an air of Bertie Wooster about him in some senses, but there is also the sense that beneath the featherlight exterior there is something steely. I'm still intrigued as to who he really is. There's the suggestion that he's aristocracy, but seems perfectly at home dealing with the lower classes and even the criminal classes if the need arises. In this book he comes up against a rather nasty gang that's led by a mastermind and has tentacles everywhere. An American judge believes he has something on the mastermind, but doesn't know what - and nor does the gang, but they think it's enough to try and scare him into dropping the subject or handing over the evidence. Campion gets involved with the Judge on the boat over from the States and spends the rest of the book trying to find out what the Judge has, trying to keep him alive and identifying the mastermind. There's the side issue of an unrequited romance, but that just goes to make him seem that little more human.It was a bit of a gripper and I quite enjoyed it. May well work my way along this shelf bit by bit.