helenliz

helenliz

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1)

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson 1) - Darynda Jones It should have been so much better than it was. The surmise is a most intriguing one. Charley Davidson is the grim reaper, in that she ushers souls from this dimension to the next. She can see them even though the rest of us can't. If they can't pass because there is something unfinished they need to do, she can talk to them and help then achieve the closure they need to move on. This might be anything from leaving a message for a loved one or avenging their murder. The ability to talk to the dead means that she's been a bit of a help in solving murders for her dad & uncle - both detectives at various times. It's a lot easier to find whodunit if you can ask the deceased!This story centres on three lawyers from the same firm who are all murdered in the same way the same night. They make themselves know to Charley and she gets involved in solving not only their murders but righting the injustice they were working on - and that got them killed. It would have been so much better if the writing hadn't been quite so annoying. Struck me as somewhat immature. Charley is supposed to be 27, but the use of slang and the attitude makes her seem a lot younger than that. She's convinced she's the hottest thing on the planet bar the sun itself and makes no bones about it. She even names her breasts - I mean isn't that what you do when you're 13 and puberty makes the whole world seem a bit strange?! Every guy she's ever met seems to be hot - it's all so superficial and repetitive. I don't know about anyone else, but a world populated by hot men isn't the one I live in (more's the pity).Then there's the love interest. Now he's a far more interesting character, but their liaisons are described in detail that is vivid and them terribly prudish. For example, "Then he was on top of me again, like a blanket of fire, flames licking all over my girl parts, stoking and stirring my body into a frenzy of heat and desire." Which manages to be both extremely sensual and prudish all at once. it's the girl parts that throws a bucket of cold water for me. Almost as if the author is as juvenile as her character. Just jars somehow, and that ruins the flow of the piece. And it happens again and again. It could have been really very erotic, but instead there are these continual jars which mean that instead it manages to have all the allure of a wet fish. The surmise was so interesting and inventive that I was looking forward to this, but it didn't live up to billing. It would have been so much better if the lead character had been the right side of the line between sassy and down right arrogant, boorish & rude - but she wasn't. It could have been completely marvelous if it didn't sound like it was written by a teenage girl. There are sequels, but I'm not sure I'll be bothering.