helenliz

helenliz

A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery Of Witches (All Souls, #1) - Deborah Harkness I'm really not sure what to think about this one. It's a fat old book, but it whizzed by quite quickly. It's not exactly a great work of intellectual literature, but it does make for a good read.I'm not entirely sure about the characters. The leading man - Matthew is a vampire and I would invite him for dinner any time - and he could eat what he dammed well chose. However I don't think I'd like Diana. We're of an age and she kept reminding me of a surly teenager, not a mature woman who's supposed to have achieved tenure in an academic field. And some of her logic and decisions are, frankly, a bit unbelievable. I mean if you didn't want anything to do with magic, why pick the history of science? Alchemy might be the origins of logical reasoning, but it also contains a lot of superstition and magic. I suppose that your life does start to unravel when you discover things even half as dramatic and unsettling about your past as she did. But even so, she managed to annoy me a fair bit. However, she did come good a few times - just needs to learn that she can't have her cake & eat it. You can't want a man to protect you and then not do what he says when he's trying to do just that - it only distracts him and that gets dangerous. Having said all of that, I did get swept up in it. I can see why it's a bestseller and would read volumes 2 & 3 when I find them.