helenliz

helenliz

Zoo Time

Zoo Time - Howard Jacobson Maybe this was just me, but I didn't find anything in this book terribly engaging. It's a book about an author and the apparent dichotomy of there being many authors and fewer people actually reading anything. He can't bear the thought of his non-existent readers not reading his next big book, so this book is spent mostly following him trying to come up with a story. He gets a bit obsessed about his wife's mother - who sounds a bit like mutton dressed as lamb, she dresses and looks more like a sister than a mother. And it's all a bit crude, pretentious, repetitive and the fictional hero/antihero deserves a good slap for being a complete self centered arse. No, I didn't like him, them, the book, the language (too many f**k & c**ts littered about for my taste - having been brought up to believe an expletive is what you use when you can't express yourself properly in the English language) or anything about it. Why I listened to the entire thing, I'm not sure - I suppose I expected it to get better... Disappointing.