helenliz

helenliz

Half of a Yellow Sun

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Difficult to know what to think of this one. Tells of the experiences of a pair of twins through the 60s and then into the Biafran war of 67-70. A piece history I know nothing about. The two sisters were quite different> initially, I got the impression that Olanna was too much an idealist, she seemed to be worrying about the most trivial things when there were serious issues facing her & her family. in that she seemed well matched by her partner & subsequent husband Odenigbo, in that he was an academic & a thinker - not a practical man at all. I suspect the family would have fallen apart much earlier had the houseboy, Ugwu, not been around to sort them out. Kainene, the other twin, was somewhat different, being a little mercenary initially, but one of these people who certainly doesn't wait for life to happen to them. Her partner is the most unlikely, a white man called Richard who starts wanting to be a writer and ends as deciding never to finish the book. The war changes them and their relationships beyond all measure. I'm not sure I ever really warmed to any of the characters. Not because they were badly written, or unbelievable, just because I didn't feel I had any point of reference to them and their story.