helenliz

helenliz

Keep Me Close

Keep Me Close - Clare Francis My husband has several Claire Francis books on the shelf & I've never wanted to read one. For a book club challenge, this title seemed appropriate, so I gave it a go.Well.That was really very good. Claire starts the story waking up in hospital after serious accident that appears to have resulted from a break in. She's got a broken spine - with all the uncertainties that entails - and head injuries. Slowly through the book you meet her family, husband, husband's business partner and a shady character from her past. There are three men with something to hide and lose in this, Ben (the husband), Simon (the business partner) and Terry (the shady character). By turns each of them seems to have the most to gain from the situation, to have more information than he should. It twists and turns all the way, with Ben's flitting about seeming suspicious, then Simon's solicitude and Terry, who has been rebuffed before, still trying to be involved. There's money and business dealings of the shady and honest sort, there are lies being told and retold and plenty of mist and murk. Through which Claire has to see her way through. It twists and turns and facts come to light, or are presented in a new light and re-examined on a regular basis. The cast of characters is quite tight, but well presented and there are question marks over all of them at some point in the tale. All in all a most satisfactory read and I will be heading back to his bookshelves for another one at some point.