helenliz

helenliz

Mistress

Mistress - Amanda Quick OK, I wanted something to read on the bath after a hard day in the garden, and this was suitably light. he's an eccentric Earl who was badly scarred by a first marriage. She's a young lady who is seeking a blackmailer. They come together, as she's entered Society posing as his mistress, and (this being a romance) fact soon mirrors fiction. And it's about as believable as that, really, but it went well with the mood I was in.re-read 2013. Picked for a bookclub challenge, this is one of those comfort books, a bit like a favourite jumper - nothing very bad happens in it - despite all the alarms & scares on the way you just know it'll end happily ever after. Iphingia's aunt is being blackmailed, and the note says that another victim, the Earl of Masters, has been murdered because he didn't pay up. So Iphingia (a miss and former school teacher of an academy for young ladies) decides to enter society as the mistress of the Earl of Masters. I said it was comfortable, not that it made any kind of sense. She does her homework on him, creates an illusion and half falls in love with him. Which is fine while he's rusticating in the country, but does kind of cause a stir when he returns to town. They have a few run ins with the blackmailer (who is out to cause trouble) and with the passion that's stirred up between them. But you can guess the ending. These are a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine and he's one hero I'd not be throwing out of bed for eating crisps.