helenliz

helenliz

White Rose Ensnared

White Rose Ensnared - Juliet Hastings yes, well. Where to start. Black Lace is a now defunct imprint that sold erotic fiction for women. And it does what it says on the tin. It even has a smidgeon of a story behind it to back up the wide ranging, rather inventive and extensively detailed sex. Set in the mid 15th century, during the Wars of the Roses, Rosamund is married to an elderly gentleman and has little experience or enjoyment in their marital bed. But he's killed in battle, and her manor is attacked by her villainous neighbour, Sir Ralph. She's captured and is put to Sir Ralph's pleasure (guess what that might be...). Once he has what he wants from her (actually her lands, not just her body) he throws her out on the street and, by circuitous means, she finds herself in a brothel in Southwark. I'm no expert, but I'm 300 percent certain that brothels were unlikely to have been anything like as nice, civilised or clean as this one is made out to be. But hey ho, why let a fact get in the way of a good story. There is some romance in amidst the panting & probing, in that she's had one night of passion with a Squire called Geoffrey. Built like a god (aren't they all) they each believe the other to be dead, due to Sir Ralph's nefarious ways. They find each other, and there are a few rather sweet plot twists towards the end that lighten the mood somewhat.I like it, nothing too outlandish in the sex department, while sufficient variety to not get repetitive, and there's even a love story hidden in there to hold the thing together. And I will now depart and find a bucket of cold water to tip over me...