helenliz

helenliz

The Age of Miracles

The Age of Miracles - Karen Thompson Walker This tells of the impact that a significant event has on the life of a young girl, her family, friends and where she lives. It assumes that the rotation of the earth slows, such that each day is no longer 24 hours long, but is getting longer and longer.It's an interesting twist on the usual coming of age tale - coming of age in the midst of a calamity. And there are elements that are most thought provoking. However, there is a fundamental lack of scientific understanding at the heart of this story. In the first instance, the slowing isn't noticed until 56 minutes have been added to the night. Not to the day, just the night. This is announced on the news and suddenly this change is noticeable to everyone and over both days and nights. Then there are the physical effects of this - gravity seems to have increased. Even I know that gravity has little to do with the rotation of the earth. The far more likely effect of the slowing - a change in the magnetic field of the earth - doesn't kick in until mid way through the book. And I found it impossible to suspend disbelief enough to ignore the highly questionable scientific basis for the book. Seeing Julia is still at school, I'll mark this D - should have done some homework first.